Sometime ago, I made a Cabbage Lasagna and I thought I would experiment with a different vegetable this time. Eggplants worked perfectly for this recipe. This eggplant layer bake is made to resemble a lasagna except there are no pasta sheets in it as I’ve substituted them with thick slices of eggplant and I’ve not used any bechamel sauce too. It’s a carb-free yet cheesy indulgence. Yum.
Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
200g minced chicken
650g eggplant, sliced lengthwise approx. 1-cm thick
200g white button mushrooms, sliced
600g tomatoes, blended in food processor
300g yellow onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
70g tomato paste
salt & freshly ground black pepper
150g cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Heat oil in pan and saute the onions and garlic.
2. Add the minced chicken (remove any lumps with your spatula) and stir fry till meat is no longer pink.
3. Add in mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil.
4. Mix in the oregano, thyme and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 170 deg C with fan.
6. Divide the meat sauce into 3 equal parts.
7. Ladle one part of the meat sauce onto a large oven dish and then arrange eggplant slices on top in one single layer. Repeat the steps for another layer of meat sauce and eggplant and then spread the last part of meat sauce on the top evenly.
8. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in the middle shelf of oven for about 20-25 minutes till the cheese turns a lovely golden brown.