Wanted to name these ‘banana fritters’ initially but didn’t want to mix them up with goreng pisang because these were more like the Malaysian-style Kuih Kodok which literally means ‘toad cake’ because of their uneven surface.
And I think ‘donut’ is a more apt name anyway because its texture is more like the regular fried donut.
Granny used to make these when I was little. Her version which was on the sweeter side had a crispy exterior and a soft, bready interior. Just another great way to use up leftover bananas. 🙂
Deep Fried Banana Donuts Recipe
Ingredients (makes about 10 pieces)
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
pinch of salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg, beaten
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
canola oil for frying
icing sugar for dusting
1. Sift together the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the bananas, salt, sugar and egg. Stir to mix.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir swiftly until just combined. Batter should be thick and lumpy.
4. Heat 2 inches of oil in a casserole pot. Drop 1 heaped teaspoonful of batter into the oil and fry till golden brown.
5. Fry the fritters in batches until the batter is used up.
6. Transfer the fritters onto paper towels to absorb excess grease.
7. Dust with icing sugar and serve.