I love the combination of honey and lemon. Sweet and sour – it’s just so appetising and refreshing on the palate. This is an easy roast chicken recipe that you can serve with any sides of your choice. As you can see from the picture below, the chicken looks ‘burnt’ on the exterior but it’s actually not because that’s just the layer of caramelised honey on the chicken skin that somewhat make this chicken taste like ‘char siew’.
I’m sure many of you have your own ways of roasting chicken while ensuring it is moist and juicy inside. For me, I like to use frozen chicken that’s not fully thawed before roasting. And it’s about roasting it at a higher temperature (about 200 deg C with fan or 220/230 without) and then leaving it in the oven to rest. The whole chicken including the usually-dry breast area is just tender, moist and succulent. Enjoy!
Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
1 whole chicken approx. 1kg
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp sea salt
3 lemons, halved
2 yellow onions, halved
1 bulb garlic with top sliced off & separated into cloves
1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C with fan.
2. Stuff 2 halves of lemon into the cavity of the chicken and place the chicken in a roasting pan.
3. Drizzle oil and honey over the chicken and sprinkle the salt all over it.
4. Arrange the rest of the lemons, onions and garlic cloves around the roasting pan.
5. Roast in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the chicken rest in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Carve the chicken, drizzle over the pan juices and serve with your preferred sides.