A simple, comforting soup dish which you can easily make if you always have homemade chicken broth ready in the freezer or fridge. If no, you can always make one by dissolving 2 chicken stock cubes in 1 litre of hot water. Meatballs wise, I chose to use lean minced chicken to keep this lower in fat but you can always use pork or beef if you like. Enjoy!
Chicken Meatball and Cucumber Soup Recipe
Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
250g minced chicken
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
few dashes of ground white pepper
2 tsp corn flour
2 tsp olive oil
1 Japanese cucumber about 300g, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
1 litre chicken broth (or combine hot water with 2 chicken stock cubes)
1 egg, beaten
50g glass noodles, soaked in water till fully constituted
1. Marinate the chicken with light soy sauce, salt, pepper and corn flour. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Using a teaspoon, scoop up a heaped teaspoonful of meat mixture and use another teaspoon to scrape off the meatball onto a clean, dry plate. Repeat till the meat mixture is used up.
3. Heat oil in pan and saute the garlic till fragrant.
4. Add the cucumber and carrot and briefly stir fry.
5. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
6. Add the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Pour in the beaten egg and allow to cook briefly before using chopsticks to stir up the egg.
8. Add the glass noodles and cook for another 3 minutes.
9. Season with salt if desired and serve.
I would never have thought to add cucumber in a soup it sounds delicious ?
Very hearty and healthy too 🙂 Give it a try.