I bought a few lovely yams from the supermarket and ended up making a yam feast of claypot seafood with yam, yam rice, yam paste dessert and this, lol. I liked the texture and flavour of the crispy yam sticks that really reminded me of the potato sticks snack that I used to eat when I was little. For a healthier approach, I actually baked the yam sticks in the oven with just a touch of olive oil rather than deep-frying them which might make them overly greasy and soggy.
In terms of flavours, I kept the dish light and clean by only using simple Chinese-cooking seasonings for the marinade. Using chopped spring onions and coriander leaves would also give it an additional aroma. Enjoy this Stir Fried Pork with Crispy Yam Recipe!
Stir Fried Pork with Crispy Yam Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
200g lean pork, sliced into strips
250g yam, cut into matchstick size
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks spring onion, finely chopped
2 red chillies, minced
handful of chopped coriander leaves
olive oil (for yam)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
dash of white pepper
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
1. Marinate pork and set aside till ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the yam sticks on top. Drizzle olive oil over and bake for 15-20 minutes till crispy.
3. Heat vegetable oil in pan and shallow fry the pork strips till golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
4. Pour away the excess oil in the pan and leave about a tablespoonful of oil behind.
5. Sauté garlic, spring onions and chillies till fragrant. Add pork and yam. Season with a pinch of salt and add the chopped coriander. Stir fry quickly till well combined.
6. Garnish with more chopped coriander and serve.