I came up with this dish after getting some cooking inspiration from a home-cooked meal at a friend’s house some weeks back. She had cooked this stuffed cucumber soup in which minced pork and prawns were used for the stuffing but for my version, I opted for minced chicken, glass noodles and Chinese mushrooms. Instead of making a soup, I merely steamed the stuffed cucumbers and had them with rice congee. An ideal dish when you need a light meal – it’s absolutely healthy, low-fat and very easy to make.
Stuffed Cucumbers Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
2 large cucumbers approx. 750g, peeled & sliced into 1″ thick slices
200g minced chicken
20g glass noodles, soaked in water till fully constituted & chopped
6 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water till tender, stems removed & diced
handful of coriander leaves, chopped
chopped spring onions as garnish
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken seasoning powder
1/2 tbsp corn flour
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
few dashes of ground white pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine minced chicken with glass noodles, mushrooms and coriander. Add in all marinade ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
2. Remove the seeds from each cucumber slice with either a knife or a small round cookie cutter. Discard the seeds.
3. Fill each cucumber cavity with the meat mixture till it overflows on the top surface.
4. Steam on high heat for 10-12 minutes till cucumber is tender.
5. Garnish with spring onions and serve.