After several attempts to create my first ever baked donuts, I decided to venture into making chocolate ones. And thank goodness it only took me 2 bakes to achieve the perfect texture and chocolatey flavour that I like including a sugar glaze that’s not too cloyingly sweet. My husband and I just couldn’t stop eating them! Move aside for now, Krispy Kreme! ;p
Baked Chocolate Doughnut Recipe
Ingredients (makes 24 mini and 6 standard size donuts)
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
100g chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg
4 heaped tbsp greek yogurt
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
melted dark chocolate as topping
colourful & chocolate rice as topping
hundreds & thousands as topping
cinnamon sugar as topping
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Lightly grease donut pans. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and chocolate chips in a bowl.
3. Combine egg, greek yogurt, milk, vanilla essence and canola oil in another bowl. Stir in flour mixture till well combined.
4. Pipe mixture into each cavity of the pan, ensuring it is only half filled.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
6. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes before removing the donuts.
Once the donuts are ready (and still slightly warm), it’s time to decorate them in any way you want just like how I did it.
Mix 1 cup icing sugar, 2 tablespoons low fat milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence in a bowl. Dunk each donut into the sugar glaze, shake off any excess and transfer onto a plate or parchment paper and chill in the fridge till the glaze sets and slightly hardens. This portion is good enough for about half of the donuts I have baked.
The chilled donuts just taste so much better than the non-chilled ones! Somehow the sugar glaze just complements the chocolatey flavour of the donuts. It is addictive, I warn you! 🙂 Donuts really make my day! Hope they make yours too. Enjoy folks!
Wow! These look gorgeous, I didn’t know you could bake doughnuts – they look great!
Thank you! Baked doughnuts are so much healthier than fried ones and they are really tasty too. Give it a try 🙂