The husband and I decided to stay home today to clear some work before our staycation & food hopping trip next week. And I felt inspired to bake something so we could have something to munch on for tea. With a bunch of bananas and a pack of chocolate chips left in my pantry, I was able to make these yummy banana chocolate chip squares that looked like spongy cakes on the outside but its texture was between a cake and a kueh which we adored as the interior was moist even after we chilled them in the fridge for a few hours. Sunday may be coming to an end but we are looking forward to Christmas Eve. 17 more sleeps to go, woo!
Banana Chocolate Chip Squares Recipe
(makes 35 pieces of 2″ x 2″ squares)
5 ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
150g chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup skimmed milk
1/3 cup nonfat natural yogurt
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/4 cup sunflower oil
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C with fan. Line a 10″ x 14″ baking tray with parchment paper on bottom and sides.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk milk, yogurt, eggs, sugar and oil. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly with a spatula.
3. Stir in bananas and chocolate chips and mix till well combined.
4. Pour the mixture onto the baking tray and tilt the tray in all angles so the mixture is evenly spread.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack and cut into 2″ x 2″ squares.