My husband often raves about the nachos served at Chilli’s that I decided to include it in my Tex-Mex feast for him. And I made such a huge portion that he not only had it for dinner, he had it cold for breakfast the next day! Oh man, he really ate like a king! But he deserves the treat =)
Beef Nachos Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
200g ground beef
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion, minced
1 green or red bell pepper, diced
salt to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can refried beans (I bought Old El Paso brand from Cold Storage)
grated cheddar cheese
one bag of corn tortilla chips 230g (I used Mission brand)
For the salsa:
3 tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
handful of chopped coriander
salt to taste
1. Mix together all ingredients for the salsa. Chill in fridge till ready to use.
2. Arrange tortilla chips on a large baking dish. Preheat oven to 175 deg C.
3. Saute garlic, onion and pepper. Add ground beef and season with salt, chilli powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Tweak the amount of seasonings to your liking.
4. Pour mixture over chips and top with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake for 20 minutes on the top shelf of your oven till cheese melts.
6. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
I purposely left the tortilla chips in the oven slightly longer so to get this crispy cheesy crust around the sides (like a pizza) and it really tasted good! The salsa and sour cream added a refreshing soury kick. The refried beans had a slightly bitter after-taste (what a shame!) so I’m likely to omit it the next time. This makes a great movie snack that you can munch while on your couch with a movie on. If you are a great fan of cheese like us, then you really have to do this at home. Enjoy!