Found this easy stir-fry recipe which makes a good one-dish meal for dinner. Minimal work but very robust flavours. As dried black beans are generally salty, there isn’t a need to season the dish with more salt so just go easy with the light soy sauce in the chicken marinate.
Chicken & Peppers with Black Bean Sauce Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
300g boneless chicken leg, remove skin & cut into bite sized pieces
1 red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 green pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
4 slices ginger, peeled
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 chilli padi (bird’s eye chilli), thinly sliced
2 tsp dried black beans, rinsed & bruised
corn starch solution (mix 1/2 tbsp corn flour with 1 tbsp water)
coriander as garnish
Marinate for chicken:
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tsp cornflour
1/4 cup water
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1. Marinate chicken and chill in fridge for half hour.
2. Heat a little olive oil in pan and saute the black beans, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli till fragrant.
3. Add chicken and stir fry till meat is no longer pink.
4. Pour in the sauce, bring to a boil and then simmer till chicken is cooked through.
5. Add the peppers and stir fry briefly.
6. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution and then garnish with coriander before serving.
Recipe adapted from Noob Cook
I love the colours of the dish. The chicken leg meat is tender and the peppers are packed with a crunch. The savoury sauce has so much flavour in it without being overly salty. Recommended to serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!