It’s extremely gratifying to bake on a Friday because it’s the day of the week when I’ll always try to clear out the fridge. I can enjoy a sweet treat while saving money ‘cos I need not spend extra to buy tea time snacks and I can reduce food waste too, lol. 😉
Anyway, this recipe is basically about combining a bread pudding with a muffin. The batter is quite wet but the end result is a muffin with an almost pudding-like consistency if eaten fresh on the same day.
I made the mistake of using paper muffin cups which were difficult to peel off as they literally got stuck to the muffins so we had to eat off the muffin cups or use a spoon to scoop which was kinda fun so we didn’t mind at all. However if you don’t like this idea, just grease your muffin pan or use silicone cups for easy removal.
Leftover muffins can be stored in the fridge but they will harden and dry up slightly which still taste good just like chilled bread pudding.
We get sweetness and crunch from the diced fruits and all that chocolatey goodness from the choco chips – best of both worlds indeed. Have fun making them and enjoy your treat! 🙂
Apple Pear Bread Pudding Muffins Recipe
Ingredients (makes 16 muffins)
400ml skimmed milk
60g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp olive oil
7 slices day-old wholemeal bread (about 200g), cut into small cubes
30g plain flour
80g whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Packham pear about 180g, diced
1 small Fuji apple about 130g, diced
120g chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Lightly grease two 8-hole muffin trays.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and oil. Mix in the bread cubes and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, combine the two flours, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix.
4. Fold the flour mixture into the bread cube mixture and add the pear, apple and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.
5. Fill the muffin holes with the batter and bake for 20 minutes or till toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out almost clean.
6. Transfer muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely.