A rich and creamy cheese sauce cascading down a mountain of tender, juicy sliced beef is such a tantalising sight and that’s exactly what makes a cheesesteak sandwich look so scrumptiously mouth-watering. It’s also not difficult to make it. I have a big bag of cheddar cheese in the freezer waiting to be used up so when the husband requested for cheese steak for dinner, I could easily whip this up in no time! Of course, you can just use any good melting cheese of your choice like Gruyere, Gouda, Monterey Jack or a mix of either. Enjoy!
Cheese Steak Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3)
250g beef steak, thinly sliced
1 large yellow onion, sliced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
multi-grain loaf or any bread of your choice
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
Cheddar cheese sauce:
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup skimmed milk
1 wedge Laughing Cow light cream cheese
pinch of salt & freshly cracked black pepper
1. Melt butter in pan till it bubbles. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. Take the pan off the heat and slowly add in the milk while continuously stirring till the mixture becomes smooth.
3. Return pan to the heat, bring the mixture to a gentle boil and then simmer over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Stir till they completely melt. Set aside.
5. Heat some olive oil in pan and saute the onions and mushrooms till tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside.
6. In the same pan, brown the beef slices quickly and season with salt and pepper. Remove while the meat is still slightly pinkish.
7. To assemble the cheese steak, cut the loaf lengthwise and to your desired size. Arrange the onions and mushrooms on the bottom half, followed by the beef slices. Spoon the cheese sauce over the beef and serve.