This recipe is like a westernised tomato-based version of an Asian chicken curry. It doesn’t smell as pungent or aromatic as an Indian curry but you get this sweetness from the tomatoes & onions and a little spicy kick from the red chilli. For best results, do use coconut milk or cream just like you would in a regular curry dish. I chose to use evaporated milk instead as a healthier alternative. Either way, the sauce should still be rich in flavour and creamy & thick in texture. Enjoy this Chicken with Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe!
Tip: Use Diced Tomatoes with No Salt Added (I use S&W brand) so you can adjust the amount of sodium that goes into the dish.
Chicken with Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
300g skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 slices ginger
1 red chilli
1 can unsalted diced tomatoes approx. 411g
200ml low fat evaporated milk
salt & freshly ground black pepper
chopped coriander leaves as garnish
1. Combine onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in a food processor and blend into a paste.
2. Heat some olive oil in a pan and lightly brown the chicken.
3. Add the onion paste and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes and season with salt & pepper to taste.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
I served the dish with some pan-fried king oyster mushrooms and steamed brown rice for dinner 😉 Bon appetit!