Folks in Singapore, have you joined the Pokemon Go craze? I thought I wouldn’t initially but I eventually did because some of the Pokemon were just too cute (I love Squirtle) and I had so much fun catching & collecting them, lol. Best thing was, the husband and I started going on long walks which was like the perfect exercise. Play game, keep fit. Why not? 🙂
Anyway, today’s recipe of the day is inspired by the Hot Plate Egg Tofu dish from the tze char stall 😉 Just one dish like this was enough for the husband and I to devour our bowls of rice. Yum.
Imitation crabsticks normally contain MSG so there’s no need to add too much seasonings in the gravy as the crabsticks will also flavour it. Again, it also depends on how flavoursome the chicken stock that you’re using is. I normally like to use fresh chicken stock as I’d always have some kept in the fridge. If yours is less salty or less robust, you might want to adjust the flavour with additional chicken seasoning powder and/or light soy sauce or salt. Make the necessary adjustments in Step 4 before thickening the sauce with corn starch.
Crabstick, Prawn & Egg Tofu Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4 as one of few side dishes)
2 tubes egg tofu 300g, sliced to 1/2″ thickness
12 large prawns, shelled with tails intact & deveined
100g crab sticks, rolled out & peeled into strips
1/2 cup mixed vegetables
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp sunflower oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
corn starch solution (mix 1/2 tbsp corn flour with 2 tbsp water)
chopped spring onions as garnish
For the sauce:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
400ml chicken stock
dash of sesame oil
dash of white pepper
1. Heat oil in pan and fry the egg tofu till golden brown. Transfer onto paper towels to absorb excess grease.
2. Pour away most of the oil in the pan or use paper towels to remove. In the same pan, saute the garlic till fragrant.
3. Add the prawns and stir fry till they turn opaque. Remove and set aside.
4. Pour all sauce ingredients into the pan and bring to a boil. Add the mixed vegetables, bring to boil again and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Thicken with corn starch solution.
5. Pour in the beaten egg and allow to cook briefly before using chopsticks to stir up the egg in a horizontal direction (left to right and right to left).
6. Add the crab sticks, egg tofu and prawns. Stir till well combined.
7. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.
So simple and so soothing. My tummy wasnt feeling very well so wanted something ligth. This hit the spot! Thank you so much. I have only discovered egg tofu a year or so ago so am loving any new way to use it.
Glad to know you enjoyed the dish 😉 you can use egg tofu in soups too!