If you’ve bought a pack of fresh cranberries only to realise how awfully sour they are, don’t fret as they won’t go to waste. 🙂
Fresh cranberries make great additions to sweet baked goods as their tartness balances out the sweetness and gives a somewhat refreshing note like this Cranberry Streusel Muffins Recipe. The regular streusel topping is usually made using butter, sugar and flour but I chose to use rolled oats instead just to keep these sweet treats a little lighter with lesser calories.
Cranberry Streusel Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12)
180g fresh cranberries
255g plain flour, sifted
120g rolled oats, pulverised till fine
130g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
100g butter, melted
pinch of salt
Streusel topping: (combine in a bowl)
2 tbsp rolled oats
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the plain flour, pulverised rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and sugar till smooth. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and whisk constantly till well combined.
4. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and use a spatula to stir until just combined.
5. Add the cranberries and gently stir the batter a few times. Do not over-mix it.
6. Fill up the muffin cups with the batter. Sprinkle the streusel topping on top.
7. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes till a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
8. Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 30 minutes before storing.
I couldn’t resist prying open the muffin while it was still warm. Soft and moist on the inside with a bit of crunch at the top. Absolutely delicious. 🙂