No eggs and no butter used in muffin baking? Yes, this was what happened when I ran out of both essential ingredients and my hands were just itching to bake up something despite that. I thought these eggless & butterless chocolate muffins would be a flop but they turned out perfectly fine. Probably not as flavoursome as the buttery-rich, egg-fragrant ones but I consider these muffins a healthy bake. Moreover, chocolate doesn’t really go wrong. Once in a while, we just need that 😉
Eggless & Butterless Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Ingredients (makes 8)
1 1/2 cup plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
2. Mix flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Mix water, salt and sugar in another bowl. Stir till sugar dissolves and then add in vinegar, oil and vanilla essence.
4. Add dry flour mixture to the wet mixture. Whisk thoroughly and break up lumps if any.
5. Transfer mixture to the greased muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes or till toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.
6. Cool muffins on a wire rack and then dust with icing sugar before serving.
When I took my first bite, I was reminded of the Chinese steamed cake (aka ‘Huat Kueh’ 发糕) except this was chocolate flavoured. The inside was fluffy and moist, soft and springy. As I didn’t add a lot of sugar, it might be a bit plain to eat on its own so that was why I dusted the top with icing sugar not only for flavouring but also for a contrasting finish. The next time, I would probably add chocolate chips to make it even more chocolatey. Enjoy!