I really love ‘evaporated milk pastas’ because they are so quick and easy to make just like fried rice. I would always stock up my pantry with cans of reduced fat evaporated milk and on days when I’m eating alone, I would just whip up a simple pasta dish using the milk to give it body and flavour while still keeping it light.
I used macaroni for this recipe but you can replace that with any pasta of your choice. Besides having the evaporated milk as the hero of the dish, I thought the whole garlic cloves were pretty enticing too. I love garlic in almost anything and when they are cooked till tender, they are somewhat sweet and fragrant. Really bring this pasta to a whole new level. Give it a try!
Garlic Chicken Mushroom Pasta Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
180g macaroni, cooked according to packet instructions
1 boneless & skinless chicken breast fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
100g white button mushrooms, sliced
80g fine asparagus, hard ends trimmed & halved
1 bulb garlic, cloves separated & peeled
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
250ml low fat evaporated milk
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a pan, melt butter in olive oil. Saute garlic till fragrant.
3. Add chicken and stir fry till meat is no longer pink.
4. Add mushrooms and asparagus and stir fry briefly.
5. Pour in the evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes till chicken is cooked through and garlic cloves are tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Stir in the macaroni till well combined and serve.