Sundays are usually my no-cook days and sometimes we would just buy a ready-made rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. While such rotisserie chickens are generally inexpensive, tasty (might contain MSG too) with meat that just fall off the bones easily, I do find them rather greasy and at times, salty too.
I had recently stocked up on frozen griller chickens (perfect size for 2 persons – we don’t need a big bird) so I decided to roast my own chicken since I had BBQ sauce and honey in the fridge waiting to be used up.
It’s just amazing how many uses there are for one roast chicken like this. We had a chicken salad for one meal, chicken wraps for another and I kept the bones and leftover meat to cook up a chicken congee. How good is that, lol. Talking about budget meals, this has to come out on top! Enjoy! 🙂
Honey BBQ Chicken Recipe
1 whole griller chicken approx. 1kg
sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
Sauce: (combine in a bowl)
200ml homemade or store-bought BBQ sauce
3 tbsp honey
juice of 1 lemon (reserve the lemon rind)
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper all over including inside the cavity and insert the lemon rind into the cavity.
3. Place the chicken (breast side down) on a large sheet of aluminium foil. Baste the chicken with the sauce and wrap the chicken up with the foil. Transfer to a baking tray and insert into middle shelf of oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven and open up the foil (be careful of the steam!). Baste the chicken with the sauce again. Change the oven setting to Grill mode. Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, uncovered. Repeat 2-3 times till the sauce is used up.
5. Serve with tortilla wraps or crusty bread.
The picture of the honey bbq chicken looks so yummy that I am feeling hungry now……lol. ?
Haha, maybe I shouldn’t schedule my post in the middle of the night next time! 🙂
The roast chicken looks good…great idea to use a bbq sauce for it!
I used the same recipe as my Honey BBQ Ribs, lol and it worked! 🙂
The tomato decorating is very refreshing!
Hmm looks delicious!