Lemon chicken is another one of my favourite dishes to order from most tze char stalls as it’s one dish that never seems to go wrong. I just like the lemon sauce that is drizzled over crispy-fried chicken as the tangy flavour kind of neutralises the grease in the mouth.
Fried Chicken with Lemon Sauce Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
500g boneless chicken leg, remove skin and cut into strips
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp light soy sauce
pinch of salt
2 tsp chinese cooking wine
corn flour for coating
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
vegetable oil for frying
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1/2 tbsp cornflour
1. Marinate chicken with egg, light soy sauce, salt and chinese cooking wine. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Dredge chicken pieces in corn flour, shake off the excess and transfer onto parchment paper.
3. Heat oil in pan and shallow-fry chicken till golden brown. Drain and transfer onto paper towels.
4. Combine all sauce ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens to desired consistency.
5. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
If you want the most crispy and crunchy fried chicken, I’d suggest the double frying method. In this way, the fried chicken will also stay crispy for a longer period of time, especially good if not everyone will be having dinner together at the same time. I did with mine and the chicken turned out perfect. Really addictive. The lemony sauce whetted our appetite and made us eat more. Enjoy!