Quesadillas make lovely savoury tea-time snacks or even as a meal on their own without being heavily loaded with carbs like a thick pizza crust or sandwich bread. While I always enjoy combinations of ham & cheese and bacon & chicken for my quesadillas, I thought I’d make a meatless one this time. What could be better than using mushrooms that are so low in calories – probably the best option to even out the high calories of cheese and butter, lol. I wanted to serve the mushrooms in sliced form but that would be too ordinary so I blitzed them up, added milk & cream cheese and the end result was like a mushroom pate which was also perfect for spreading on toasts – hmm, yum. Enjoy this Mushroom Quesadilla Recipe!
Mushroom Quesadilla Recipe
Ingredients (makes 2 whole quesadillas)
250g assorted mushrooms, sliced (I use white button, oyster and king oyster mushrooms)
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 wedge of The Laughing Cow light cream cheese
1 tbsp skimmed milk
handful of parsley
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 wholemeal tortilla wraps
1. Heat butter and oil in a pan. Saute the onions and garlic till fragrant.
2. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry till tender. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the mushrooms to a food processor. Add milk, cream cheese and parsley. Blend till the mixture becomes a paste. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Grill a tortilla on both sides (flipping regularly so you don’t burn it) till air pockets start to form and the exterior becomes slightly crispy. Grill a second tortilla. Turn the heat off once done.
5. Place one of the ready tortillas back into the pan. Sprinkle some cheese over the top. Add the mushroom pate and sprinkle more cheese on top. Turn the heat back on low and place the second tortilla on top, pressing down gently with a spatula. Once the cheese at bottom layer starts to melt, flip* the entire quesadilla so the heat can melt the layer of cheese on the other side and hold the ingredients in place. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas.
6. Using a pizza cutter, cut each quesadilla into quarters and serve with a side salad of your choice.
*Tip: To flip the quesadilla, first slide it off the pan onto a flat plate and then flip the plate back onto the pan. The quesadilla will land beautifully with no mess.
I served the quesadillas with a simple salad dressed with Kewpie’s Roasted Sesame Dressing. Absolutely delish 🙂 Bon appetit!