I wanted to buy sour cream initially to make this Mushroom Stroganoff but couldn’t get any in time from the supermarket near me. While I could have gotten yogurt as a replacement, I thought I would try making the creamy sauce with silken tofu instead. It’s healthy and definitely lower in fat. In fact, I thought tofu works really well for this recipe because it gives a nice aroma of soy and it keeps the dish really light too.
If you want to know how to make a stroganoff with sour cream, check out my Chicken Stroganoff Recipe.
Had some leftover pan juices from last night’s Honey Lemon Chicken (click on the link for recipe) so I added that in but is actually not necessary for this recipe especially if you want to keep the dish purely vegetarian.
Roasted Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3)
150g oyster mushrooms
100g king oyster mushrooms
150g shimeji mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil for the mushrooms + 1 tbsp for sauteing the onions
1 yellow onion, peeled & sliced
300ml vegetable broth
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp leftover roast chicken pan juices (optional)
300g silken tofu
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
250g penne or a pasta of your choice, cooked according to packet instructions
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C on Grill with fan. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
2. Arrange the mushrooms in one single layer on the baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt over them.
3. Insert the baking tray into the highest shelf of oven and roast the mushrooms for about 10 minutes till golden brown. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan and cook the onions on low heat for 15 minutes till browned.
5. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, light soy sauce and leftover pan juices (if using). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. In a food processor, blend together the tofu, mustard and lemon juice till smooth and creamy.
7. Add the tofu mixture into the pan and stir to combine till you get a creamy sauce consistency.
8. Ladle the sauce over pasta or serve with crusty bread.