Got the inspiration from Pinterest when I saw beautiful pics of these roll ups and thought I would try making them as well. Have added this to my list of recipes that turn stale, day-old bread into delicious treats which is definitely a great way to minimise food waste. 😉
I had rolled out each slice of bread till flat just to make the surface area bigger so as to spread on more Nutella. That’s quite a bit of hassle so you can skip this step if you want and use the bread slices as they are.
If you like French toast and Nutella, you gotta give this a try. Besides strawberries, you can also use other berries or even dried fruits and nuts. There are endless possibilities to dress up these rolls and I’m sure they will all taste great anyway. Enjoy!
Nutella French Toast Roll Ups
Ingredients (makes 15 pieces)
15 slices day-old wholemeal sandwich bread
15 tbsp Nutella spread (approx. 280g)
240g strawberries, diced + extra for garnishing
3 tbsp skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sugar
pinch of sea salt
olive oil for frying
icing sugar for dusting
1. Flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin. (optional)
2. Spread 1 tbsp of Nutella on one side of the bread and 1 tbsp of diced strawberries on the bottom section of the bread.
3. Fold the bottom part and roll forward while using your fingers to tuck in the strawberries. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
4. In a deep dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, sugar and salt.
5. Roll each bread roll in the egg mixture till evenly coated. Transfer to a clean dry plate.
6. Heat some olive oil in pan and pan-fry the bread rolls till golden brown on all sides.
7. Dust the rolls with icing sugar and garnish with diced strawberries or other berries/fruits of your choice.