I bought this new Eupa brand of waffle iron from South Korea off Qoo10 recently. Very happy with my purchase because my previous waffle iron was just rubbish – supposed to be non-stick and even though I still greased it with oil or butter, my waffle still stuck to both the top and bottom and it was just so hard to remove and clean up. With this new waffle iron, making waffles is such a breeze and I can also rotate it to ensure both sides of the waffle are evenly cooked.
Right now, the seller is offering a special price of S$59.90 including free shipping. Really worth buying if you’re into waffles!
I like to use buttermilk in my waffles because it really imparts a nice flavour. Buttermilk waffles taste good on their own and when paired with either sweet or savoury accompaniments. Since chicken and waffles and anything salted egg are so HOT in Singapore right now, let’s make a combo of Salted Egg Chicken and Waffles that I’m sure will please many palates out there. 😉 This recipe serves 6. Enjoy!
Salted Egg Chicken and Waffles Recipe
For the waffles:
Ingredients (makes 6 x 7″ round waffles)
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
75g unsalted butter, melted + extra for greasing
2 cups buttermilk
1. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter and buttermilk.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Stir to mix.
3. Gradually add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
4. Preheat waffle iron according to instructions on manual and use a basting brush to grease it with melted butter.
5. Pour enough batter on the waffle iron and use a spatula to spread out the batter evenly. Cook accordingly to instructions on manual.
For the salted egg chicken:
600 boneless chicken leg, skin removed and cut into cubes
salt & pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 cup tapioca flour
sunflower oil for deep frying
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
handful of curry leaves
2 tbsp evaporated milk
4 salted duck egg yolks, cooked & mashed
1. Marinate chicken with salt, pepper and egg.
2. Dredge chicken in tapioca flour and shake off excess. Transfer to clean dry plate.
3. Deep fry the chicken in batches till golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels to remove excess grease.
4. In a pan, melt the butter in olive oil and fry the curry leaves till crispy and fragrant.
5. Add salted duck egg yolks and stir fry till mixture is frothy.
6. Add evaporated milk and a small pinch of salt. Add the fried chicken and toss till evenly coated.
7. Serve the chicken on top of the waffles and drizzle maple syrup over if desired.