Was doing my weekly grocery shopping at NTUC Fairprice and I came across this housebrand Sar Hor Fun (沙河粉) which I hadn’t cooked with before so I bought one packet to try out.
This is different from the usual fresh ones that I buy from the market because this hor fun comes in dried form and is much thinner like kway teow. However if you prefer the regular broad hor fun, go ahead and use that as this Seafood Hor Fun Recipe works with either type.
I use chicken leg meat, prawns, squids, fish cakes and choy sum in this. If you like, you can also replace them with or add extra fish slices, cuttlefish, sliced pork, etc. I don’t like the gravy to be overly starchy so I don’t use a lot of corn starch but you can adjust that to your preference.
It’s an easy one-pan meal to make for the family. Enjoy!
SEAFOOD HOR FUN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 400g hor fun (dry), cooked according to packet instructions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 large squid, cleaned & sliced
- 12 large prawns, shelled with tails intact & deveined
- 220g boneless & skinless chicken leg, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 150g fish cake, sliced
- 220g choy sum, cut into 1 1/2″ sections
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- corn starch solution (mix 1 tbsp corn flour with 3 tbsp water)
- few dashes of ground white pepper
- Loosen the hor fun and toss thoroughly with light soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Stir fry the hor fun till lightly browned. Divide the hor fun into serving plates.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the same pan. Stir fry the garlic and chicken till the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the squid and prawns and stir fry till they just about turn opaque.
- Add the stock, fish cake, choy sum and oyster sauce. Bring to a boil and thicken with corn starch solution.
- Pour in the beaten egg and allow to cook for a few seconds before using chopsticks to stir up the egg in a horizontal direction (left to right and right to left).
- Season with pepper.
- Ladle the gravy and its ingredients over the hor fun and serve.