Granny used to make steamed egg for me when I was little and it was just a plain version without any meat. Always a joy to share the hot & comforting steamed egg with her as we ate it with white rice.
For my version, I added some minced pork to bulk the dish up. Alternatively, you can also use minced chicken or fish paste. I had tried making these variations and they turned out equally good. Perhaps most things go with egg.
With meat, it just adds depth to its texture so you get this soft, wobbly egg pudding on top and tender, juicy pork on the bottom with every spoonful. It’s really easy to make and it’s pretty healthy too. Enjoy! 🙂
Steamed Egg with Minced Pork Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3 as one of few side dishes)
100g minced pork
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp light soy sauce
small pinch of sugar
salt & ground white pepper
2 tsp olive oil
chopped spring onions as garnish
1. Heat oil in pan and add the minced pork. Break up any lumps with the spatula and stir fry till meat is no longer pink. Season with salt, sugar & pepper to taste.
2. Transfer the minced pork to a steaming dish.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, chicken stock, wine, light soy sauce and a few dashes of white pepper. Strain the egg mixture and pour into the steaming dish with the minced pork at the bottom.
4. Steam at medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
5. Garnish with spring onions and serve.