I just randomly made up this dish because I had a big wedge of pumpkin left in the fridge after using some for baking. Pumpkin is sweet on its own and gets even sweeter after it is steamed so by using pumpkin in this dish, it really flavours the meatballs with another layer of richness.
Tip: To keep this dish lower in saturated fats, you might want to replace the minced pork with lean minced chicken instead.
Steamed Meatballs with Pumpkin
Ingredients (serves 4 as one of few side dishes)
250g minced pork
4 stalks Chinese celery, finely chopped
350g pumpkin, peeled & cut into cubes
chopped spring onions as garnish
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dark soy sauce
few dashes of ground white pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp corn flour
2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp water
1. Combine minced pork and Chinese celery in a mixing bowl. Add the seasonings and stir to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Transfer the pumpkin cubes onto a steaming dish.
3. Roll tablespoonfuls of the meat mixture into round balls and place on top of the pumpkin.
4. Steam at high heat for 15-20 minutes till meatballs are cooked through and pumpkin turns tender.
5. Garnish with spring onions and serve.