I’m happy to have experimented with many new dishes with all the stuffs I had bought from Foodie Market Place especially the big packet of cheddar cheese and block of pecorino romano that I never seem to be able to finish using them, lol. I quite like using pecorino cheese as a topping for these mushrooms as they don’t melt easily in the oven and have a more full-bodied flavour that gives a delicious edge to the meal.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
6 portobello mushrooms
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
100g back bacon, cut into small bits
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
pecorino romano cheese
chopped parsley as garnish
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C on Grill with fan. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.
2. Rinse the mushrooms quickly under running tap water, cut away the stems and dry with paper towels.
3. Heat a little olive oil in pan and pan-fry the bacon till slightly browned. Remove and drain on paper towels.
4. In the same pan, stir fry the onion till tender.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine the bacon, onion, green bell pepper and panko. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon the mixture onto each mushroom and top with 4 halves of cherry tomatoes.
7. Transfer the mushrooms to the baking tray and grate cheese over them. Insert tray in the topmost shelf of the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Remove mushrooms from oven and sprinkle chopped parsley before serving.
Love the crunch of the peppers and the juiciness of the tomatoes. The colours are absolutely appetising too. I’m sure this would be a hit with kids – especially good if you want them to eat their vegetables as this dish is totally vegetarian. Bon appetit!