Oven baked. Greaseless. Fat free. No salt. That’s how I prefer my sweet potato chips to be so the only flavouring factor depends on the sweet potato’s own natural sweetness. I picked Vietnamese yellow sweet potatoes but you can of course use the orange/purple variety or a mix of both. If going plain isn’t your cup of tea, you can toss the sweet potato slices in olive oil and sprinkle salt, paprika and/or garlic powder before baking them.
It actually took me a few attempts to finally get the oven temperature and baking time right. Because the chips are thin, it is just too easy to get them burnt which will make them taste unpleasantly bitter. The crucial point is in Step 5 when you have to bake the chips for a further 8-10 minutes after flipping them. Basically I just station myself in front of the oven and the moment I spot some browning on the chips, I will remove them. And if the rest are not crispy enough, I will just put them back into the oven and continue baking. That’s definitely a little hassle so I suggest baking in bulk (2 trays at a time) and storing all for later consumption. These chips make great movie snacks. Best of all, they’re guilt-free 🙂 It’s the weekend, folks. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
2. Using a mandolin or knife, slice the sweet potatoes very thinly and as uniformly as possible.
3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the sweet potato slices in one single layer without overlapping.
4. Insert baking tray into the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the tray from oven. Flip over the sweet potato slices and bake for another 8-10 minutes or till they turn slightly brown and crispy.
6. Cool the chips on a rack for 30 minutes (to allow the chips to crisp up even more) before storing in an air-tight container.