I initially planned to cook a vegetable curry so I bought egg plant and long beans but in the end, I came up with this pasta dish instead which was a marriage of Italian and Asian flavours – a cross between a bolognese pasta and a mee goreng probably? Lol. Sounds like a weird combo? Well the flavours worked well though as I could taste the piquant sambal chilli in that tangy tomatoey sauce. I added fish cake and salmon to the pasta but feel free to change to chicken, shrimps, sausages – whatever you fancy.
Tomato Sambal Conchiglie Recipe
Ingredients (serves 5-6)
300g conchiglie (shell pasta), cooked according to packet instructions
350g egg plant, cut into bite-sized cubes
200g long beans, cut into 1″ sections
120g fish cake, sliced
1 cooked salmon fillet, flaked
200g canned chopped tomatoes
3 fresh tomatoes
2 large red onions, finely chopped
3 heaped tbsp store-bought sambal chilli paste
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
pinch of salt
2 tsp olive oil
1. Using a food processor or blender, blend together the canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes to a puree. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in pan and saute the onions and garlic.
3. Add tomato puree (from step 1) and water. Bring to a boil.
4. Add egg plant and long beans and cook till tender.
5. Add oyster sauce, fish sauce, sambal chilli and salt. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
6. Add fish cakes and salmon, followed by the conchiglie. Stir till well combined and serve.