This is probably the most unconventionaI but also easiest method to whip up a quick and healthy vegetable curry by using tomatoes as the base. I made a herbed quinoa (just mix cooked quinoa with chopped coriander and spring onions with a squeeze of lemon juice) to go with the vegetable curry and also oven-grilled some papadums to add an extra crunch. It’s a low fat and low calorie recipe that’s also ideal for our vegetarian and vegan friends.
Tomato Based Vegetable Curry Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
150g red onions, peeled & finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 tbsp olive oil
200g eggplant, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
200g long beans, cut into 1″ sections
411g can of diced tomatoes (with no salt)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
coriander as garnish
herbed quinoa (optional)
1. Heat oil in pan and saute onions and garlic till tender. Season with a good pinch of salt.
2. Add eggplant and carrots. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
3. Add water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and curry powder. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Add long beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with coriander and serve with quinoa and/or papadums if preferred.