A glimpse of my Daiso shopping haul this weekend!
Here’s what I spotted in the store this time:
1. Baking sieve for sifting all the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder, etc to remove any lumps or bugs
2. Cake decorator to create patterned designs on the sides of creamed/frosted cakes
3. Metal spatula to spread the frosting evenly on cakes
4. Zester for easy scraping of fine zest off lemons & other citrus fruits without the bitter white pith
5. Dumpling presser for sealing meat dumplings, pot stickers and empanadas
Total cost: S$10
The cake decorating/baking tools are just some standard items to add to my baking cabinet.
The zester unfortunately doesn’t work well on citrus fruits with waxed surface so you’d need to give the fruits a good scrub to remove those wax first before zesting, otherwise the zester will just keep slipping off because the surface of the fruit is too slippery.
I bought the dumpling presser because I have dry & cracked skin on my fingers that make it difficult for me to press my dumplings. But it isn’t really a cleverly designed product because the diameter of this product is quite small and doesn’t quite match in size with those store-bought wanton skins (unless you make your own wanton skin from scratch) which means the end result isn’t great unless you trim off the sides of the skin that’s not pressed. Also, the middle part couldn’t really hold a lot of filling. If you put too much, it’d just burst out from the sides.