Hooray! I’m delighted to have lost almost 10kg in 2 1/2 months with cardio exercises and strength training. And I’m happily throwing out my old clothes to make way for new ones as they are all 1-2 sizes too big for me now. I must really give credit to the LIVESTRONG calorie tracker app that allows me to track my daily food intake, water intake (I used to be a camel!) and of course my weight so I could always check on my progress and make adjustments if need be. I haven’t really gone on a diet as I still eat a lot especially on the days when I go gym but I’ve cut down on sugary foods, sodas, processed foods and junk food which is a good thing because it keeps my blood sugar level stable and I no longer feel easily fatigued like before. One useful tip is to opt for more low-GI foods which can keep us fuller for a longer time hence reducing the need to snack and consume extra calories.
Pasta is a great choice of carbohydrates that’s low-GI but I’d never use bottled sauces that are usually high in sodium and preservatives. I prefer to make my own and this is one recipe that makes a good alternative to the standard tomato or cream based sauce.
Broccoli Pasta with Spiced Prawns & Ham Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3)
1 head broccoli approx. 400g, cut into florets
350g fusilli pasta, cooked till al dente
18 medium size prawns, shells removed
150g chicken or turkey ham, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp minced garlic
450ml chicken stock
2 + 1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
1. Marinate prawns with paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch broccoli till stems are tender.
3. Transfer the broccoli to a blender or food processor and add the minced garlic, chicken stock and 2 tbsp butter. Puree the broccoli.
4. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in pan and pan-fry the prawns till they turn opaque. Remove and set aside.
5. In the same pan, add the broccoli mixture and bring to a boil. Add ham into the mixture and toss in the pasta.
6. Serve the pasta with the prawns on top.