I’m a big fan of western style soups especially the creamy, thick ones with lots of different textures in them from the various ingredients used. Whenever I drop by any of my favourite bakery (Sun Moulin @ Isetan Scotts is one), I’d definitely grab a baguette and then go home to whip up a warm and fuzzy soup for dinner. Nothing is more gratifying than dipping crispy baguette in freshly made creamy soup like this recipe, as inspired by my all-time favourite clam chowder.
Chicken Chowder Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
500g boneless chicken leg, remove skin & fats, cut into bite size pieces
4 pieces chicken franks, sliced
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
200g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
2 russet potatoes, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tsp chicken seasoning powder
1 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1. Marinate chicken with light soy sauce and wine. Chill in fridge for an hour before cooking.
2. Heat olive oil in pan and melt the butter. Saute garlic and onion till soft.
3. Add chicken and stir fry till meat is no longer pink.
4. Add water and chicken seasoning powder. Bring to boil.
5. Add chicken franks, carrot, potatoes and mushrooms. Simmer for 15-20 minutes till potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Turn off heat. Mix greek yogurt and corn flour and stir the mixture into the chowder. Serve hot.
This was so good, we almost licked off the plates! Normally I’d prefer to use fresh chicken stock but since I didn’t have any, I had to substitute with chicken seasoning powder instead. And as a healthier alternative, I had used greek yogurt instead of cream. You can also replace the butter with just olive oil only or use chicken breast instead of dark meat. Whatever works best. Enjoy!