Happy New Year, everyone! 🙂
After all the countdown action last night, I think we deserve a good meal to refuel ourselves and kickstart a brand new day in a brand new year.
How about a lip-smacking Chicken Schnitzel, eh?
I actually used 1 big piece of chicken breast (instead of 2 as indicated in my recipe below) because it was a really huge and thick one. I sliced that into half lengthwise and pounded the meat to make it just under 1cm thick. You can go thinner if you like but that will have less of a textural bite so it’s really up to you, depending on what you prefer.
This recipe works with pork, beef or veal as well.
I served my schnitzel with oven-roasted Hasselback sweet potatoes and a simple rocket salad. Enjoy and have a fabulous day ahead! 🙂
Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 boneless & skinless chicken breasts
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose plain flour
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
sunflower or canola oil for frying
2 tbsp butter
lemon slices as garnish
1. Place the chicken breasts in between 2 sheets of parchment paper and use a meat mallet to pound them to your desired thickness (as thin as you want).
2. Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper on both sides.
3. Heat up 1cm high of oil in a pan.
4. Dredge the chicken in flour and dip in the beaten egg. Coat fully with breadcrumbs.
5. Shallow fry the chicken till exterior is golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels to remove excess grease.
6. Serve with lemon slices and your preferred sides. Enjoy!