One of my recent food inventions was this Chicken Tofu Burger topped with crunchy, sweet & sour cabbage kimchi. Had been making a lot of burgers recently cos’ the husband and I got hooked onto this Korean drama (Jang Bo-ri is Here!) on Channel U hence we would eat our dinner in front of the TV instead of our usual dining room so dinners these days had to be something easy to pick up, lol. Initially, I thought the patty would turn out dry as I used lean minced chicken & firm beancurd (do not use silken tofu cos’ it’s too soft and wobbly) but it turned out fine as the tofu gave the patty much moisture and in fact, every bite of the burger was quite juicy. I didn’t purposely buy kimchi for this dish as I merely used up what was remaining in my fridge but I didn’t regret using the kimchi as a burger topping because the kimchi juice was really refreshing and gave the whole burger so much more punch and flavour. I served the burger with my oven-baked sweet potato chips (click link for recipe) that I made earlier and voila, a tasty treat indeed 😉 Enjoy this Chicken Tofu Burger Recipe!
Chicken Tofu Burger Recipe
Ingredients (makes 3 burgers)
Chicken Tofu Patties:
200g minced chicken
200g firm beancurd (tau kwa)
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp skimmed milk
salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 burger buns
sweet potato chips as side
1. Combine all ingredients for the patties in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Divide the chicken-tofu mixture into 3 portions and shape each portion into a patty of the same width as the bun. Transfer onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and chill in fridge for at least half an hour.
3. Preheat oven at 190 deg C with fan.
4. Insert the baking tray into the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes till lightly golden brown.
5. To assemble the burger, arrange lettuce leaves on the bottom half of the burger bun. Transfer the chicken-tofu patty onto the bun and spoon some kimchi over the top. Serve with sweet potato chips or any side of your choice.
Wow looks good! I’ve not tried kimchi with a burger before, interesting choice!
Great fusion recipe!