Fridays and Saturdays are fridge-clearing days which is never a bad thing. Since I had almost half a loaf of sandwich bread left, I decided to make bread pudding which is like one of the easiest desserts to make because all we need are some kitchen staples like butter, milk, eggs and sugar. Nothing complicated.
Do you always throw away old bread because they are 1 or 2 days past their expiry date? Don’t because it’s really a waste. I had actually eaten bread that were 7 days beyond expiry but that was because I had kept the bread in the fridge before they expired and of course I would also check for traces of mould just to be safe.
Here are a few recipe ideas to turn old bread into new dessert treats that will sure to impress your family or even your guests if you’re hosting a meal at home –
Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks
5-Ingredient Nutty Breadsticks
Apple Pear Bread Pudding Muffins
Baked French Toast
Hubby suggested to have the bread pudding with some ice cream and he immediately went down to our neighbourhood minimart to buy a tub of Neapolitan ice cream.
Not a bad combo, really. Warm, custardy bread pudding with cold, creamy ice cream – so comforting. 🙂
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
6 slices of day old sandwich bread (either white or wholemeal)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 cups skimmed milk
2 large eggs
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
2. Butter the bread on one side and cut each slice into 9 small squares.
3. Cover the base of the baking dish (approx. 8″ x 5″) with one layer of bread squares. Sprinkle some chocolate chips over. Repeat the layers till all the bread and chocolate chips are used up.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk till well combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Gently press the bread down from the top using a spatula or back of spoon to ensure all the bread is soaked in the liquid. Set aside for 10 minutes.
6. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes or till the top turns golden brown and crispy.
7. Serve hot with your choice of ice cream.