This Shimeji Mushrooms with Egg Tofu Recipe is made in tze char style that comes with a savoury sauce that you can use to douse over your rice. Yum.
The advantage of this recipe lies in its flexibility so you can easily create different versions of it by using a variety of ingredients. This time, I’ve combined 3 of my favourites – egg tofu, shimeji mushrooms and bok choy. You can also go for prawns + kai lan + shiitake mushrooms or chicken + button mushrooms + spinach. Whatever combination you and your family like. 😉
To keep this dish purely vegetarian, swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock instead.
And for low carb dieters who prefer to turn this into a one-dish meal (that’s what I do for my lunches sometimes), add your favourite proteins to bulk up the dish. Works extremely well with most meat and seafood.
- 2 tubes egg tofu (300g), thickly sliced
- 220g bok choy, blanched in boiling water
- 100g white shimeji mushrooms
- 100g brown shimeji mushrooms
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- corn starch solution (mix 1 tbsp corn flour with 2 tbsp water)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- chopped spring onions as garnish