I had been craving for a banana french toast since having one at Flock Cafe ages ago and decided I should just make it at home. Needless to say, this is now one of my favourite breakfast recipes 🙂 I must admit, this isn’t healthy fare because of the use of butter but to reduce the ‘high risk of a heart attack’, I have substituted crispy bacon (though sometimes I think we should just go ahead with it, lol) with blueberries, used skimmed milk instead of whole milk and added less sugar (since the maple syrup would already sweeten it). Making french toast is just so simple. With any sliced bread (though I feel brioche works best), egg, milk and sugar which I’m sure are ingredients that are always available in the pantry. And the most fun part? Dressing the french toast up. Fruits, nuts, seeds, bacon, maple syrup, honey, peanut butter, ice cream – whatever you fancy, really. Enjoy this French Toast with Caramelised Bananas Recipe! 🙂
French Toast with Caramelised Bananas Recipe
Ingredients (serves 1)
For the french toast:
2 slices wholemeal bread (or any bread of your choice)
2 tbsp skimmed milk
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp butter
For the caramelised bananas:
1 ripe (but firm) banana, sliced
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
icing sugar for dusting
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla essence.
2. Soak each piece of bread in the egg mixture by gently pressing it till it is thoroughly moist on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
3. In a skillet, melt the butter till foamy and pan-fry the bread slices till golden brown on both sides. Remove and transfer to a serving plate.
4. For the caramelised bananas, melt butter and brown sugar in the same pan over low heat. Place the banana slices on top in one single layer and let them cook briefly while flipping occasionally. Turn off heat once the mixture becomes brown, thick and sticky.
5. Spoon the caramelised bananas over the french toasts, drizzle with maple syrup and dust with icing sugar. Top off with blueberries and serve.
And here you are – a decent breakfast or brunch fare of yummy french toast 🙂
This looks delicious!
thank you 🙂
Looks absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing!
thanks for stopping by too 🙂
it was really yum 😉 thanks for stopping by!
This looks so good. I’m all of the sudden hungry. xD
lol, thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Sometimes I get cray with cream cheese stuffed french toast or pistachio crusted french toast with something yummy like caramelized bananas (great idea btw), but sometimes nothing beats just a normal french toast drenched in syrup haha
Now you’ve given me new ideas to whip up different french toasts, haha. Cream cheese and pistachio sound good! By the way, thanks for following my wordpress.com site but that is no longer in use. My current blog address is http://www.springtomorrow.com 🙂 You have some great recipes there and I can’t wait to try them 🙂
This looks fabulous! Can’t wait to make it!
Let me know how it goes! Thanks for stopping by 🙂
Wow!!! This is indeed amazing Geri. Thank you for sharing this recipe to all of us. I will definitely try this one weekend 🙂
Let me know how they turn out 🙂
I definetely will-
This looks fantastic! It reminds me of a combination of French toast and bananas foster – two of my boyfriend’s favorites, so I should make this sometime!
Hope you two will like it! 🙂