The husband asked if I would attempt to make hamburgers after stocking up on so much minced beef recently and that gave me an idea to reinvent my Meatballs with Gravy Recipe into a hamburger steak instead. For this recipe, I didn’t cook the patties in the oven as that might just dry them out so I pan-fried them with sunflower oil and gave them a golden crust on the outside. Tasted thick, meaty, juicy and extremely flavoursome with the chicken stock gravy. Of course if you do not want pasta, you can have these patties in burger buns with fillings of your choice to create your own wholesome burger. Unlimited ways to enjoy these hamburger steaks! Bon appetit.
Hamburger Steak & Spaghetti Recipe
Ingredients (makes 2 steaks)
200g minced beef
100g minced pork
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
200g spaghetti, cooked according to packet directions
steamed vegetables as side
1. Combine all ingredients (except spaghetti & steamed vegetables) in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Divide the meat mixture into 2 parts and shape each part into a patty.
3. Heat vegetable oil in pan till hot and pan-fry the patties on both sides till golden brown.
4. Place the meat patty on top of the spaghetti and spoon the gravy (recipe below) over the patty. Serve with a side of your choice.
For the gravy:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp plain flour
1.5 cups chicken stock (fresh or store-bought – I used leftover chicken soup from previous day)
1. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Add the flour and stir continuously for about 6-8 minutes until mixture turns a medium brown. Be careful not to let the mixture burn.
2. Add the stock and continue stirring. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat then reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes until the mixture thickens. Do not stop stirring while simmering.