I drew inspiration from a cottage or shepherd’s pie whose only crust is made with mashed potatoes. And for a healthier alternative, I chose to use a 0% fat greek yogurt instead of cream or canned soup to make the chicken-leek mix thicker, creamier and more flavoursome. If you don’t fancy leeks, you can always substitute that with another hard vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower or carrot. This is a time-saving casserole meal fit for a family of 4-6 that we can prepare the night before and then just pop into the oven the next day. If you like mashed potato, you’ll enjoy this Chicken & Leek Pie Recipe. No pastry required! Happy cooking 🙂
Leek & Chicken Pie Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
300g skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1kg baby potatoes, quartered (keep skin on)
300g leeks, sliced diagonally
1 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt (leave at room temperature)
1/2 cup fresh chicken stock
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Steam the potatoes on high heat till soft. Blend the potatoes with 2 tbsp greek yogurt in a food processor till puree-like and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan.
3. Heat a little oil in pan and pan-fry the chicken till meat is no longer pink.
4. Add in the leeks and briefly stir fry till tender.
5. Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in greek yogurt and season with salt & pepper.
6. Transfer the chicken-leek mix into an ovenproof dish and spread the potato mash on top while covering the entire dish.
7. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes till the top is lightly golden brown.