Mango sticky rice is one of my favourite Thai street foods. It’s a dessert that I wouldn’t mind eating every day (or every meal, lol) whenever I’m in Bangkok. It’s just a very simple dessert but somehow the ones I’ve tried here in Singapore cannot be compared with those found in Bangkok because either the mango is not sweet enough or the coconut sauce is not as great.
When I spotted Thai mangoes in the supermarket, I bought a whole bunch of them and left them on my kitchen counter till they turned all yellow and ripe. They were so sweet and juicy – perfect for making mango sticky rice.
You would notice that my sticky (glutinous) rice isn’t completely white in colour. That’s because I added palm sugar hence there was this light brownish hue. If you don’t have palm sugar, then use the regular white sugar.
And just like the mango sticky rice in Bangkok, I also fried up some split green beans till they were crispy and crunchy and scattered them on top of the sticky rice to give it a nice crunch.
Delicious to the max. ? Give it a try!
MANGO STICKY RICE RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3)
1 large or 2 small ripe mangoes, peeled with seed removed & cut into cubes
For the rice:
150g glutinous rice, soaked in water for 6 hours, rinsed & drained
4 tbsp coconut milk
2 tsp palm sugar
pinch of salt
For the coconut milk sauce:
150ml coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp white sugar
pinch of salt
For the topping:
60g split green beans, soaked in water overnight & drained on paper towels to air-dry
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Bring water in a steamer pot (or wok if using steaming basket) to a boil.
- Line the base of the steamer with muslin cloth and place the green beans on top. Steam at high heat for 15 minutes. Remove and leave to cool and air-dry.
- Put the rice onto another muslin cloth and place inside the same steamer pot. Make sure there is sufficient water in the steamer pot. Steam at high heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the rice and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add coconut milk, palm sugar and salt. Stir thoroughly and set aside for half hour.
- Heat oil in pan and fry the green beans till golden brown and crispy. Transfer onto paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- To make the sauce, bring the coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Dissolve the sugar and salt in it. Turn off heat and leave to cool till it slightly thickens.
- To assemble the mango sticky rice, transfer the rice and mango onto a serving plate. Ladle the sauce over and sprinkle the crunchy green beans on top. Enjoy!