Pad Prik King is a dry Thai curry that doesn’t have coconut milk in it. The curry paste is basically stir fried in oil till fragrant before adding any meat and/or vegetables.
Earlier I had bought like the entire range (well, almost) of Maepranom brand curry pastes which included this Phad Prig Khing curry paste. After making Red Curry and Green Curry, this dish really came as a refreshing change because you wouldn’t taste the same coconut milky flavour in this and the aroma of spices did stand out too. I didn’t use too much oil so as to keep this less greasy and it didn’t require additional salt as the paste was already nicely seasoned. All that was needed was just some palm sugar to give the curry a bit more body. Enjoy!
PAD PRIK KING RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3)
- 1 packet Maepranom Phad Prig Khing Curry Paste 50g
- 300g boneless chicken leg, skin removed & sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200g long beans, sliced into 1″ sections
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 red chilli, seeded & sliced
- Heat oil in pan and stir fry the curry paste till fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir fry till meat is no longer pink.
- Add water, long beans and palm sugar. Stir fry till long beans are tender.
- Garnish with chilli and serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!