Baked potato. Mashed potato. Corn on the cob. French fries. Onion rings. Salad greens. Coleslaw. Pasta salad. Steamed vegetables. Mashed cauliflower. Blah blah blah. I’m running out of ideas to create sides for my mains. So when the husband asked me if cannellini beans could be roasted in the oven, I thought it was just a brilliant idea. 🙂 I found a recipe that used balsamic vinegar to flavour the roasties and decided to also use my usual paprika and garlic powder to give them more punch.
Roasted Cannellini Beans, Carrots and Potatoes Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
500g baby potatoes, cut into eighths
1 large carrot, cut into bite sized pieces
3 tbsp regular olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan.
2. Combine all ingredients (except beans, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar) in an oven dish and toss thoroughly.
3. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Add the beans to the oven dish and bake for another 15 minutes
5. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the roasties and serve with your mains.
(Note: This recipe is inspired by Wishful Chef.)
Oh my, I just loved that crunchy skin on the cannellini beans and the balsamic vinegar offered a wonderful mix of sweetness and mild acidity to the whole dish. Give it a try! 🙂