This dish needs no further introduction 😉 It’s one of our local favourites and a must-order dish at any tze char stall which I also think is tasty and moreish enough to join the ranks of chicken rice and chilli crab as our national dish. Who doesn’t love salted egg, really? And with the combination of crispy curry leaves, this fragrant concoction is simply intoxicating and addictive.
To my readers who loved and raved about my Fried Chicken with Salted Egg Yolk Recipe, here’s the prawn version to satisfy your cravings for more. It’s basically the same recipe except that the protein used is different. My tips to achieve the perfect salted egg prawn or chicken dish are (1) to use tapioca flour as a coating for a crispier texture and (2) to fry the curry leaves beforehand to bring out its aroma. Hope you guys will enjoy this Salted Egg Prawn Recipe too! 🙂
Salted Egg Prawn Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
20 large tiger prawns, de-shelled & deveined
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup tapioca flour
salt & pepper
sunflower oil for frying
For the salted egg yolk sauce:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
handful of curry leaves
2 tbsp evaporated milk
4 salted egg yolks, steamed & mashed
pinch of salt
1. Marinate prawns with egg, salt and pepper.
2. Dredge prawns in tapioca flour, shake off the excess and transfer onto a clean dry plate.
3. Deep-fry the prawns in batches till golden brown and crispy. Drain and transfer onto paper towels to remove excess oil.
4. For the salted egg yolk sauce, heat olive oil in a separate pan and melt the butter till it turns foamy. Pan-fry the curry leaves till crisp and fragrant.
5. Add the salted egg yolks and cook till the mixture becomes bubbly.
6. Reduce heat and add evaporated milk and a pinch of salt.
7. Return the fried prawns to the pan and toss till evenly coated.
Come on, let’s dig in immediately! It’s impossible to stop at one ;p