This is a pie with no pastry. 😉
Oven-baked fish or seafood pie is one of my favourite casserole recipes and definitely the ultimate comfort food. You can use almost any seafood of your choice and an assortment of vegetables (preferably hard ones that don’t turn mushy easily when cooked for too long).
Paired with creamy potatoes, all the different textures and flavours just marry perfectly in this one dish that’s fit for the whole family.
If you like cheese as much as I do, sprinkle some cheddar on top before you pop the whole thing in the oven. This way you’d get a lovely brown cheesy crust like what I did below. Absolutely yummy.
Seafood Pie Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
600g baby potatoes (leave unpeeled)
100ml reduced fat sour cream
2 tbsp skimmed milk
salt & freshly ground black pepper
500g white fish fillet (I use skinless flounder), cut into bite-size pieces
20 medium-size prawns, shelled & deveined, coarsely chopped
1 head small broccoli, cut into florets
100g button mushrooms, sliced
3 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
120g cheddar cheese, grated
juice of 1 lemon
1. Steam the potatoes till soft. Transfer to a big bowl and mash till smooth. Mix in sour cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
3. To assemble the seafood pie, transfer the fish, prawns, broccoli and button mushrooms to a 24cm round pie dish. Mix in the parsley, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese (reserve the rest for the topping) and lemon juice. Mix everything up thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread the mashed potato over the seafood mixture and sprinkle the balance cheese on top.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes till the cheese crust turns a lovely golden brown.
While the top is cheesy-crispy, the inside is wet, moist and full of flavours all the way through. I enjoy the taste of the refreshing lemon that gives it an acidic twist. Be careful though if you’re eating this straightaway when it’s out of the oven because the interior can be super scalding hot. Enjoy! 🙂