Cooking with healthier alternatives like reduced fat or fat free yogurt or sour cream almost always result in a split sauce. I used to think that split sauces are cooking disasters until when I watched this food program that showcased good eats in Taiwan. In it, they introduced this Savoury Soy Milk that was served in a curdled form which the locals love to eat for breakfast. And since then, I’ve been looking at curdled or split sauces in a different light.
So for this recipe, even though the sauce looks as though it has split, it really doesn’t affect the taste at all. Just need to toss the macaroni with the sour cream sauce before eating and it will be all good and tasty. If aesthetics are just too important to you, I would suggest you use regular sour cream and leave it out on the counter at least an hour before cooking to bring it down to room temperature. Turn off the heat before stirring in the sour cream and serve immediately.
Sour Cream Pasta Recipe
Ingredients (serves 1)
1 boneless chicken leg
100ml reduced fat/light sour cream
1/4 cup water or chicken stock
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
50g white button mushrooms, sliced
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 + 1 tsp olive oil
80g macaroni or a pasta of your choice, cooked according to packet instructions
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.
2. Transfer the chicken onto the baking tray. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over the chicken and season with salt & pepper on both sides.
3. In a pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil and saute the onions and mushrooms till tender.
4. Add water (or stock) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a very low simmer.
5. Mix in the sour cream and cook for 3-4 minutes till the sauce thickens. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
6. Pour the sour cream sauce over the pasta and place the chicken on top. Serve with your favourite vegetable side.