The subject heading is not wrong. This is indeed a low carb pasta recipe as I’ve substituted tagliatelle with baiye tofu instead. Baiye tofu typically comes in a compressed block of beancurd skin so we just need to slice it up in 1cm thickness and then use our hands to loosen it up into individual layers which do resemble pasta. I really like the baiye tofu a lot because its slightly firm and chewy texture gives a really nice bite. Of course if tofu is not your cup of tea, just go for the real thing. This meat sauce is really easy to make and tastes really clean and fresh with all those sweetness coming through from a medley of celery, carrot, onion and tomatoes. Enjoy!
Low-Carb Tagliatelle al Ragu Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
300g baiye tofu, cut into 1cm wide strips
200g minced beef
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
6 sticks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar
3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp tomato paste
cherry tomatoes as garnish
1. Heat oil in pan and stir fry carrot, onion, celery and garlic for about 10 minutes till tender.
2. Add beef and fry till meat is no longer pink.
3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water and sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 45-50 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the baiye tofu and toss thoroughly to combine. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and serve.