Sawadee ka! Welcome to the Land of Smiles! 🙂
For some reason, I didn’t order my usual Tom Yum Soup during my last visit to Nakhon Kitchen so I thought I would make one at home (see my Seafood Tom Yum Soup Recipe) but turn it into a one-dish meal for dinner instead. And that was how I came up with this Thai Seafood Noodle Soup which really was just rice vermicelli in a spicy, sour and savoury clear tom yum broth. Of course, ingredients are substitutable so you can use a noodle of your choice (thick rice vermicelli, flat rice noodles, egg noodles, etc) and also your preferred proteins and vegetables (I suggest ‘hard’ ones because leafy vegetables might alter the taste and colour of the broth). Enjoy!
Thai Seafood Noodle Soup Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
100g brown rice vermicelli, soaked in water till fully constituted
4 cups water
2 stalks lemongrass, cut into thirds & gently bruised
handful of kaffir lime leaves
2″ piece galangal, sliced
5 green chilli padi
1 tomato, quartered
2 shallots, peeled
120g canned button mushrooms, halved
150g enoki mushrooms
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
juice from 1 lime
1 piece fish stock cube
1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
1 small squid, sliced
4 large prawns
parsley as garnish
1. Blanch the rice vermicelli for 1 minute in a pot of hot boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. Bring water to a boil.
3. Add lemongrass, lime leaves, galangal, chillies and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, shallots, mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds
5. Add sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, stock cube and chilli sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
6. Add in prawns, squids, scallops, broccoli and cook till the seafood turns opaque.
7. Divide the vermicelli in 2 serving bowls and ladle the seafood soup over. Garnish with parsley and serve.