Whenever I visit a Thai restaurant, pineapple fried rice is one of the few carb dishes that I’d normally order to go with the other spicy, sweet and sour dishes. And most of the time, such pineapple rice often comes loaded with ingredients and flavours that you can just enjoy it on its own.
When I saw honey pineapples on sale at NTUC Fairprice, I just thought of making pineapple rice for a weekday dinner. And I added a twist by using a little curry powder for that extra aroma.
Thai Style Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
1 small pineapple, cut into small cubes (reserve the husks for serving the rice)
200g chicken breast, diced
10-12 prawns, deshelled, deveined & diced
2 tsp shrimp paste (belachan)
1 small onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
4 cups cooked rice (chilled overnight)
sliced red chillies & parsley as garnish
cashew nuts & meat floss as garnish (optional)
Sauce: (pre-mix in a bowl)
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp pineapple juice
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp curry powder
Marinate for chicken:
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp chinese cooking wine
1. Marinate chicken and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a little oil in pan. Stir fry chicken till cooked through. Remove and set aside.
3. Stir fry prawns till they turn opaque. Remove and set aside.
4. Saute garlic, onion and shrimp paste till you get a pungent aroma.
5. Add rice, pineapple cubes and sauce. Stir fry thoroughly so the rice gets evenly coated with the sauce. Adjust seasoning if need be.
6. Return the chicken and prawns to the pan and add raisins. Stir well to combine.
7. Garnish with red chillies & parsley (and cashew nuts and/or meat floss) before serving.
(Recipe adapted from Noob Cook)
Serve the rice in the emptied pineapple husks for that visual effect. Looks good and tastes equally good. Enjoy!