Turmeric is one of my favourite Asian spices. Not only it gives food a nice bright yellow colour, it also has a lot of medicinal benefits (can treat bloating, gas and upset stomach, etc) and anti-inflammatory properties. However, besides being used in curries, turmeric is not something that we would just eat on its own, whether fresh or dry. One good way to introduce turmeric into the diet is to add it into rice which you can then pair with whatever dishes you want as per your daily cooking.
I served this turmeric rice with curry chicken (click on the link for recipe) as well as fresh vegetables like baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.
Turmeric Rice Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
270g basmati rice
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp white peppercorns
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
70ml coconut milk
3 pcs pandan leaves, tied into knots
1. Heat oil in pan and saute the garlic and turmeric.
2. Add rice, peppercorns and salt. Stir fry till well combined.
3. Transfer rice mixture to a rice cooker and add water, coconut milk and pandan leaves.
4. Steam till rice is cooked.
5. Serve the rice with chicken curry and your preferred vegetables.